Monday, 5 March 2007

Cherchez la Brain Cells

Akaroa was lovely. And here are some photos from flickr to prove it. As I can't get the photographers' names to appear underneath, please click on the photos themselves to see who the clever photographers are. (Credit where credit is due.)

Akaroa
Originally uploaded by steveandsarah.
The first one just taken today and posted about three hours ago - is this internet great, or what! I should have my own pictures up soon, after the usual wait for processing from my last century camera.

Akaroa harbour
Originally uploaded by Mollivan Jon.


Akaroa Town
Originally uploaded by Baba70.

The history of the place is that the French arrived in the harbour and planted their tricolor flag, but were two days too late - the Treaty of Waitangi with Britain had just been signed.

Happy to say, Niece S survived her budget accommodation experience. I'm sure, although she would never admit it (well ... maybe when she's forty) she will be all the more enriched from having had the experience of 'slumming it' with the rellies in Akaroa. (And darn it all - I didn't get to read until too late, Becky's comment on my last post with her suggestion to say to Niece S - 'Suck it up!' Oh boy would I have got her good with that! She wouldn't have known Aunty Chiefbiscuit had it in her!) Mind you, her mother - my sister L (not to be confused with McD) was just about as bad, moaning about how every time she looked around, there was a toothbrush-armed person on their way to the facilities to clean their teeth. Do I need to see that? she wailed. She also asked why all the campers were always so damn perky and happy? It was driving her insane. I felt like I should warn our fellow campers to refrain from offering their usual bright and cheery 'Good morning' (or 'guten Morgen' as the case may be) my sister's way, as they were in imminent danger of receiving a swift kick on the ankle.

Nuff said. We had good fun, with the rowdy game of charades on the last night the highlight of our stay. (And don't ask what b-i-l B from Australia mimed for the song title, 'She'll be Coming Round the Mountain'.)

We all then stayed another night with my sister in Christchurch, returning the rental car (and breathing a sigh of relief because the mobile phone that was rented with the car had survived its dunk in the Waikaia River okay; my sister S from Oz not having to pay for damages after all.) At 6.45 the next morning I dropped the four of them off at the railway station so they could catch the train to Picton, and then the ferry across to Wellington to see the rest of the family up there. They are having a most wonderful kiwi holiday. (Next instalment may be in my sister McD's partner, Dinzie's blog?)

Since arriving back from Akaroa and Christchurch, I've been writing prose and poetry for a deadline - today. I made it, but feel that the intensive writing workout has tilted my brain, causing brain cells to roll off into a corner (like one of those hand-held games involving tiny ball bearings) and now my head needs to tilt the other way, so my brain cells can reassemble into their normal pattern. (Seeing as I was up writing until three a.m.this morning, it is no wonder that I'm feeling a little confused - a little less than my usual alert wee self.)

Meanwhile ... I have got work again. Starting tomorrow, I'm back at the pre-school. Just for a month. It will be thrilling to see them all again after a little over two months away.

The weather continues dry. ABM has just come in from his usual twilight golf and said it was magical - still and warm. A beautiful night. We have no grass left on our lawns. As I pass what little summer flora we do have, I hear their tiny whispers, gasps and whimpers for water. I do try to remember to give them all a drink every day. I'm not completely heartless.

16 comments:

Shameless said...

Halarious, CB! :)

Shameless said...

Sorry, HILARIOUS! :) My brain cells have also turned!

Avus said...

Great photos, Chief. Makes me want to come back to NZ!

Kamsin said...

Sounds like you had fun! Whinging relative is what makes family trip, isn't it? NZ really does look lovely!

Remiman said...

CB,
It sure is a lovely place there where you reside. I'm happy to hear that you all had a grand time, but I'm not surprised from just the little I know of you.
rel

herhimnbryn said...

Thanks cb. Sound slike a great break. My hed is still imagining the charades game!

Kake said...

Welcome back from your holiday. Beautiful pictures of Akaroa!

chiefbiscuit said...

shameless- Glad you enjoyed.

avus - But you must!

kamsin - I like that bit about whinging relative ... so true! Sounds like 'Confucious says.'

rel - Doesn't take much to make me happy - esp. when I'm with family.

herhimnbryn - Don't!

kake - Thanks - have you been there? It's cute place ... lots of boats!

Rebecca-the-Wrecker said...

beautiful spot- and what a fun time you had. we went there with my uncle - still remember the salmon pie we ate on the jetty- yum!

chiefbiscuit said...

rebecca - Thanks for the visit - I just love your jewellery! Will put you on my links.

paris parfait said...

Wonderful photos and hilarious account of the visitors and their reactions to "slumming it." :)

chiefbiscuit said...

pp - Thanks. Yes it was very interesting - the world from the pov of another generation - what planet do they come from again?

dinzie said...

Oh where do I start !!!!!!!

:O)

The eagle ripping into B one morning wasa classic !! Wont forget that one in a hurry !!....

Kinda set the scene really ...

Tammy said...

LOL Fun times and great views! Lovely!

Emily said...

This sounds like a wonderful trip. Your photos are beautiful and I loved you story of camping...sounds like truly a trip with family.

chiefbiscuit said...

dinzie - I hope Lil Sis catches me up on that one ... sounds intriguing to say the least.

tammy - Hi! Thanks.

emily - 'Twas indeed!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'