Friday, 15 September 2006

Getting Romantic

Today was a lovely spring day. Although there was a bit of a breeze, it was refreshing rather than annoying.

After I got home from work this afternoon, K & I went to a favourite cafe for a coffee and sat outside in the sun beside the sea and watched the waves unfurling in a perfect performance of symmetry.

Because of a personal crisis with a member of our family, we are all a little downcast at the moment. However it seems the weather is determined to cheer us up. Also, with the evidence of spring's abundance of energy, and everywhere symbols of hope and new beginnnings, one can't help but take heart.

Which all sounds a little like a romantic poet's viewpoint, so I have decided to compose a fittingly romantic poem in the style of Wordsworth or Coleridge. Although I think I'd actually prefer it to be more representative of Byron or Dickinson, my favourite romantics. The poem is my Poetry Thursday contribution (even though in this hemisphere it's now Friday early evening ...)

Normally I do not write like a romantic poet (well, I certainly hope not anyway) so, yes, this poem qualifies as something I wouldn't normally write. It's about some crocuses I saw one morning on my way to work. There they were in all their glory, surrounded by grass turned white from a heavy frost. The photo is one I took of the same crocuses, except taken on a sunny, frost-free day, so they don't look half as brave as they did that particular frosty morning.



Crocuses in the Frost

To the side of a path
I tread this day,
crocuses bloom
in formal array.

Such their bright aspect
of purple fit for king,
it does stop my throat
and tears unbidden spring.

For among blighted grass,
their bright vests undone,
each flower's heart exposed:
flayed by frost, healed by sun.

20 comments:

Kamsin said...

This made me smile. And it's nice to hear about Spring when it's looking decidely wintery outside my window!

apprentice said...

You've caught the style and language really well! I'm glad Spring is inspiring you, and hope the family situation eases soon.

wendy said...

Flayed by frost..healed by sun!

This is a brilliant line! How much fun we'll have with you in spring and me starting fall...We can be ying and yang...perhaps some tandem poerty assignments...perhaps..

lisrobbe said...

Oh how nice to ready a poem about one of my favoirte flowers. I loved it and since we are moving into fall it was refreshing to think of spring again.

chiefbiscuit said...

kamsin - There is a time for every season!

aprentice - Thanks - life is full of variety - some good, some not so. But we'll get there.

wendy - That sounds like a great idea - tandem poetry!

lisrobbe - Thanks - the poem was really just a bit of fun - i enjoyed making like a romantic! And crocuses are so great the way they appear so bright just above the ground and no more.

Tammy said...

That was lovely and profound for we do tend to get flayed in life :)

Catherine said...

Nothing like a bit of romanticsm now and then. The crocuses look wonderful. We have a few, but not a great clump like that.
I hope your family situation resolves itself, and you will enjoy a time of calm such as we have now.

chiefbiscuit said...

tammy - Yes I take it as rather symbolic right now

catherine - Hoping so - it'll take time. Time's a great healer, but it does take its time - excuse pun. Some things we just can't rush.

mapiprincesa said...

I love the crocuses. It is so wonderful to see Spring springing somewhere in the world. We are dark and gloomy and rainy...I long for more rays to boost my mood. Time to look for a sunlamp, I do believe! Thank you for the picture and for brightening my day!!!!!!

chiefbiscuit said...

mapiprincesa - There are good things about winter too ... let me think ... snuggling?

Belle said...

Hi Chief,

Those tough little crocus can help us call to mind many things we need to remember. Thanks for the picture and poem.

chiefbiscuit said...

belle - Thank you - that's what I thought too. :)

Bug said...

What a great poem! I particularly like the last stanza. Well done! And it's nice to hear that it's spring somewhere. Although it's sunny and warm here in Boston today, I know soon Mr.Frost will make his appearance and stay on for far too long. I'll be back to read about your summer then!

Meander Knot Press said...

Our leggy autumn crocus are just up this week. I always think frost does the most poetic things but it is difficult to get a decent picture of its fleeting footprint.

I finally found the time to get a link up to you here!

paris parfait said...

Lovely poem - definitely in the spirit of the romantic poets! Well done! And hope the situation with your family member is resolved soon.

Deb R said...

That's really lovely, especially the last two lines.

chiefbiscuit said...

bug - Thank you - the poem was just a bit of fun. I enjoyed trying on another style (albeit outdated.)

meander kp - You put it so beautifully! Great to see you here.

paris parfait - Thank you - I was surprised how easily I fell into romantic-speke - it's a little worrying!

deb r - Thank you. The crocus certainly befits poetry. I hope I did them justice.

January said...

Well done, CB! I can hear the meter in each beat! I'm glad spring is right around the corner.

Saaleha said...

Lovely. Perfect.

chiefbiscuit said...

january - Thank you. Yes it's nice to know there's a change of scene / scenery!

saaleha - Glad you liked it! Thanks for dropping by.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'