Thursday, 20 July 2006

A Bit Late


The prompt for this week's Poetry Thursday was to write a poem about sex.

Ummm... yess ... rrright ...

I haven't written any poems about sex. One day I might, but that time is not right now.

Meanwhile ...

here is a John Donne poem I really like. It's about lovers tarrying in bed while outside, the sun shines.

THE SUN RISING.
by John Donne


BUSY old fool, unruly Sun,
Why dost thou thus,
Through windows, and through curtains, call on us ?
Must to thy motions lovers' seasons run ?
Saucy pedantic wretch, go chide
Late school-boys and sour prentices,
Go tell court-huntsmen that the king will ride,
Call country ants to harvest offices ;
Love, all alike, no season knows nor clime,
Nor hours, days, months, which are the rags of time.

Thy beams so reverend, and strong
Why shouldst thou think ?
I could eclipse and cloud them with a wink,
But that I would not lose her sight so long.
If her eyes have not blinded thine,
Look, and to-morrow late tell me,
Whether both th' Indias of spice and mine
Be where thou left'st them, or lie here with me.
Ask for those kings whom thou saw'st yesterday,
And thou shalt hear, "All here in one bed lay."

She's all states, and all princes I ;
Nothing else is ;
Princes do but play us ; compared to this,
All honour's mimic, all wealth alchemy.
Thou, Sun, art half as happy as we,
In that the world's contracted thus ;
Thine age asks ease, and since thy duties be
To warm the world, that's done in warming us.
Shine here to us, and thou art everywhere ;
This bed thy center is, these walls thy sphere.


***

19 comments:

Catherine said...

I almost went looking for someone else's poem this week - but I did manage to find one - just one :)
I haven't read John Donne much since school days, thanks for reminding me he's worth the effort.

Deb R said...

I love the idea of a poem griping at the sun, sort of like an early and artsy version of a snooze button ("not yet...just five more minutes..."). Cool poem!

Cynthia E. Bagley said...

I love that you picked John Donne. I really like his poetry. :-)

January said...

Thank you for posting John Donne. I haven't read him in years, but I'm happy to have done so today.

Happy Poetry Thursday!

Anne S said...

Ditto. I haven't read Donne for years either.

My favourite was always "To His Coy Mistress"

Hi Chief Biscuit, returning the favour for your comment from my blog.

And yes we do share something in common with our mutual liking for A S Byatt and Julie Miller.

pepektheassassin said...

Gee, where was I when they were doing John Donne? I must have slept through that entire part of the course....

Pam in Tucson said...

This is a Donne poem I haven't read before. I'm going to have to pick up a book of his poetry and see what I've missed. Wonderful choice! I, too, like A.S. Byatt. Don't know Julie Miller - will have to investigate.

apprentice said...

Hmmm if it was as hot then as it is just now in the UK I doubt they were doing anything much in that bed.

I like the idea of bed being your whole world though, provided someone leaves the odd cup of tea.

michelle said...

Oh, to tarry in bed!
I love John Donne. :)

Hi!

Just coming by to check in.

a wandering woman writes said...

That's delicious!

I put an Erica Jong poem up, then removed it ... chickening out because it was so powerful and ever so explicit :)

chiefbiscuit said...

Thanks everyone for your comments - I actually wrote personal replies but see Blogger hasn't posted those. Rats!

I might do a ryn (re your note) on your own blogs instead ...

ecm said...

Great poem. I haven't read John Donne in so long. I really like the last line.

chiefbiscuit said...

ecm - yeah me too

Verity said...

I remember studying this for A level and being thrilled by it!

Thanks for reading my blogs! It's nice to know someone keeps coming back. I really appreciate it.

Lynn said...

I love John Donne's sex poems. "The Flea" is my favorite, although it's not really a sex poem but more of a sexual persuasion.

chiefbiscuit said...

Verity - It's my pleasure!

lynn - Must go back and look at that one again ... He's got a few sex poems eh!

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'