Wednesday, 10 May 2006

Time for a Poem

Once again it's time to post a poem. It's Poetry Thursday again. I have tried to plonk the pretty Poetry Thursday button as a link on my blog, but I don't think it's worked ... may have to call in the experts to help me.

Anyway. Here is this week's poem:

good girls

They’re good girls,
they do as they’re told
and listen to their mother because
she’s on her own and always looks worried,
her hair pulled back into an S-shaped ponytail.

As they sit on a seat and wait for the bus,
they swing their feet above the footpath’s black
asphalt. Their mother lights up. I see it all
through the window of ‘Chipmunks’
where my granddaughter

has her face painted. She appears,
pleased with her cat-face, black and glittered
with gold. I look for her
under the paint but recognise only
her voice and the surprise of her eyebrows.


***

It is still Wednesday here, so I am cheating a little on the Poetry Thursday - however it is only half an hour until it's tomorrow, and Thursday ...

Today I posted off the manuscript for my second collection of poetry. It is a huge relief to get it off and away. However at the same time I feel a little bereft. It is not unlike all your children leaving home.

Now I shall have to busy myself with another writing project.

Tomorrow I am meeting my daughter after work. I will go with her to pick up my granddaughter from school. After that I am meeting up with a friend for dinner in town. She has come down from the North Island for a few days in Dunedin. We were at high school together, so we have been friends for forty years now.

I feel tired and ready for an early night after two short sleeps. I feel blagh with a head cold. I feel a little lonely because ABM is away all this week. But one good thing - even though I should be feeling old, I don't.

***

17 comments:

Becky said...

Your poem was very moving. I liked it very much.

becky

Pam in Tucson said...

Poignant - and then a smile for your granddaughter's cat face. What's Chipmunks? It's Wednesday morning for me but almost "tomorrow" by now - hope you have a lovely day with your granddaughter and then your friend.

Bogart said...

The poem reminded me of my grandaughter, Sydni. I better scramble and get a poem ready for tomorrow. I thought I missed Wendesday when I saw your post,,,lol

Catherine said...

Now I'm curious, you have a published collection? In New Zealand? I probably know your name when it isn't chiefbiscuit.
Mind revealing it? You could e-mail me at cfitchett at netaccess dot com

Catherine said...

Whoops - that should have been cfitchett at netaccess dot co dot nz

Endment said...

you have made those little girls step out of the words - I can almost see them and your grandaughters cat-face - Yes, what is "Chipmunks?" another question - published? tell us more...

chiefbiscuit said...

Becky - Thanks , it was a 'moment' such as you get in life.

Pam - Thank you , Chipmunks - and for the others who asked - is a restaurant/playground chain in NZ (maybe Australia as well ... ?) where children go to play and mothers (and/or grandmothers!) can have a coffee etc ... It's like a very large indoor plyground - also supervised care if you want to leave children there - you have to pay of course!

Bogart - Thanks - So glad you are participating!

Catherine - Ahh! Now I know who you are!!! I will email you in a bit (just rushing off to work right now so it won't be until tonight or tomorrow - Saturday - ) looking forward to establishing contact!

endment - Why thank you - yes it was just one of those moments and I'm glad I have been able to convey something of what it was like.

paris parfait - Thank you1 Gald you dropped by!

megg said...

well done you for sending off that collection! That's harder than writing isn't it!

chiefbiscuit said...

Thanks Megg - You're right!

Patry Francis said...

I always love the feeling of putting a manuscript in the mail--the sense of completion, and oh, the wild hope!

Good luck!

sage said...

lovely poem, very evocative; I loved it!

sage

chiefbiscuit said...

Thanks Patry Francis - That 'wild hope' ... Yep. Soooo right! :) Good luck to you too - have enjoyed reading your work very much. Will be back to read more!


Thanks Sage - I like your work too! Looking forward to reading more.

Belle said...

Sweet little poem.

I'm sure you'll have a great time with your loved ones and friend and before you know it your main man will be home.

Regards.

chiefbiscuit said...

Thanks Belle - You're so sweet ... and you're right - he's back already!

liz elayne said...

the surprise of her eyebrows...ove that line...

congratulations on finishing your second manuscript of poetry. fantastic! (can't wait to read more and more and more my dear)

chiefbiscuit said...

Thanks Liz - I'm real chuffed! I will keep posting the poems & hope you enjoy - that after all is why I write!

January said...

Congratulations on completing your manuscript. I look forward to reading your poem for next Thursday.

Love the "S-shaped ponytail" in this poem. Nice detail.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'