Friday, 31 March 2006

Sam Not Ben


Banner from Photo I took
Originally uploaded by heatherashley.


Another grey poem - I seem to be in a grey poem mood even though we have had two bright sunshine-y days since the last grey day.
Maybe grey days are more poetic?



Son no.2 and K. left for home today. I miss their energy and warmth. They were great company. They got a ride through to Christchurch and we shouted them a bus-ride from there to the ferry in Picton tomorrow. No hitching and sleeping on bark chips for the return trip!

I had a full day's work today at a kindy. What a wimp I am - I don't like working full days. I miss my home! :( I miss the long, leisurely spaces between things when I'm at home - the dawdling as I make myself a cup of tea. The sleep-ins to read. Blogging in my pjs!

At 'work-world', things zoom and zip and I get told to do things, whereas at home I'm the only one telling myself to do things. And I'm a pretty good boss.

Now that the days are getting shorter, if I get called into a full-day's work I leave home just after the sun has risen and arrive home just before it sets. This makes me feel like I've missed a whole lot of daylight stuff that was going on around my home while I was away. The fantails and the waxeyes feeding on insects and berries; the sound of the bellbird doing its rounds. The flop and flutter of a fat orange-and-black monarch butterfly. The cats stretching after their nap on bed or chair - Aggie sitting up on her haunches like a rabbit, paws bent in front of her chest, as she tracks the flight of a blackbird. All that.

I said I was a wimp.

I shouldn't complain. The money's nice. I can buy books and cds again. The kids are very cute and good. (I can still see the solemn little guy who looked at me with his dark-brown eyes for a full six seconds before saying, "My name's not Ben, my name is Sam.")

Our clock has just chimed midnight. Time for bed, it's tomorrow already - Saturday - April Fool's Day, The sooner I get to bed the sooner I can get up again and do some long-overdue poetry writing. I wonder if I still remember how?

7 comments:

Cynthia E. Bagley said...

No you have not forgotten. I can see the poetry in your paragraphs. As a good friend of mine says... you sometimes need to go away and do something else to get the spark. Sometimes we write, and write, and write, and write, and then forget that we need to do other things... and our writing becomes anemic... ummm. (hugs)

Pam in Tucson said...

I'll look forward to reading your poetry. Your writing is poetic and eloquent, even when you're talking about everyday things. I'm sure the Muse will visit on Saturday.

chiefbiscuit said...

Thanks Cyn - yes all you say is right. I know it. I have had my time for sparks and built up a blood supply that, hopefully, is full of iron - and now I'm about to put your, and your friend's, theory to the test!

Thanks Pam - I'll post some of my poetry for you to read sometime soon - and I'm sure you're right - that Muse is leaning on my writing room doorframe tapping his/her foot impatiently as I speak!

Belle said...

Hope you enjoy your Saturday. Nice post. Good, as always, to read. Regards.

chiefbiscuit said...

Thanks Belle - I am enjoying my Saturday. Hope you do too! :)

Lynn said...

I'm glad you had a chance to work on two poems. I look forward to seeing them.

chiefbiscuit said...

Thanks Lynn and thanks for dropping by!
BTW I am still racking my brains trying to think of a quirky thing - even just one ! - I did this week and nuh-nuh can't think of a one - I guess I'm a Monica, not a Phoebe!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'